Monday, August 02, 2004

August Long-ass Weekend



It's the last weekend before crushing unemployment hits again, and I'm feeling at loose ends.

Friday night was a bust. The Boy managed to catch a piece of flying metal with his cornea and came home from work early. I had to leave work early to take him to the doctor to get fitted for a pirate-like eye patch. I took advantage of what was left of the workday to pop over to the Passport Office and drop off my application. They accepted the horrific pictures I provided (yay) and charged me an additional $10 to guarantee it would be done three days before my trip to the con. We picked up three newpaper pages' worth of the best fish and chips in town and headed over to his mother's house for dinner. It's always boiling hot there during the summer, since she decided some time ago that air conditioning is harmful to seniors. She grudgingly let us put in a window unit, but in the baaaack room, away from where the humans sit. Apparently, her seedings and ferns enjoy the coolness. I usually hunker down on the front stoop, praying for any kind of breeze and rolling my Canada Dry can over my face in a vain attempt at aiding my heat stroke.

Saturday was better, except for the part where Murphy snuck into my room around 0400 and stuck his wet nose on the bottom of my outstetched foot. He wanted to go out or eat or both, I really wasn't sure. And at that time of the morning, I also had a big helping of 'didn't give a rat's ass' for him. I halfheartedly kicked him away, but found out later The Boy had let him out for a monstruous pee. I know absolutely I would have walked in it on the way to the kettle if someone hadn't given him some relief, that's just my luck.

I headed out for Mom and Dad's just before lunch, stopping on the way for a Venti Soy Chai and a flax bagel with sausage, egg and vegetable light cream cheese. Mmmm. The sun was shining and I didn't encounter one single asshat driver during my half hour journey. Our job for the day: to go through the last of Gran's things. It's been almost four months and we had whittled it down to two suitcases of assorted minutiae, some of which I took. After that, it was off to town! I had to finish up my "26 things" project and Mom was willing to lend her eye to the cause. She was grumpy for the first half hour because she couldn't get the idea of looking at the prompt words in as many different ways as possible; she always leaned toward the obvious. Once she got the hang of it, she was pointing out things all over the place!

We got all but two shots and headed home. I had about ten million more freckles from romping around in the sun but I love the feeling of 90% accomplishment so the freckles mattered less than usual. We made some tea and partook of rhubarb muffins and raspberry turnovers, then I waggled the cribbage board in front of her. She was tired, but in the spirit of the wonderful day we were having, she acquiesced. She also beat my ass four games to one, but I never really care about the final outcome; it's the playing I enjoy.

I rolled in the laneway around 9:30 and promptly fell asleep on the couch. Good day, good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home