Monday, August 30, 2004

Bored..... bored, bored, bored, bored. Bored.


When I got up this morning from my fitful slumber on the couch due to my unstoppable coughing fits, I noticed something: it was actually cool. The a/c hadn't come on for hours so far as I could tell and there was no residual sweat in all those spaces you feel it when the humidity is so bad you want to kill and no jury in the land would convict you. It felt like fall.


Yes, the march of the seasons waits for no sunbather. Now, I know it's just a preview and that tomorrow the goddamn humidex will read 45C, but a respite is a respite. I sat in the tea room in front of the window and vaguely wondered if I should get up to retrieve a fleece or a cardigan; it was wonderful. Coffee or tea tastes better when you wrap your hands around the mug to appreciate the warmth, things smell crisper and you can almost hear the kiddies whining about having to get back to schedules and prep reading and bedtimes this week in anticipation of September 7. It is good.

I called Ms. Branch Manager at The Agency this morning to check out the goings on in the world of the employed. The 'amazing' contract still hasn't been signed, so I remain trapped in limbo. She once again offered me bank/call center work, and I once again politely refused. This however will change once I cannot pay the electric bill or the cable bill or the (heavens forfend!) Internet bill. And she knows it. She's just drooling to send me out on two-and-three-day jobs where I never get to know the people or the office or the computer and I make all of $9/hour if I'm lucky. That's their bread and butter and when I first approached them I, in all my cocky glory, was positive they would see my credentials and talk with my wonderful self and see my test scores and place me permanently inside of a week. So let me just say up front that the cold water of not being wanted for anything besides drone work was a bit of a shock. Still, I persevere.

The Boy took me out to lunch at The Mandarin when he heard the bleak employment news. I avoided carbs for the first three minutes, but then proceeded to go mental at the sushi table. And with the garlic bread and the breaded scallops. The scallops weren't as great as I remembered, which was when it occurred to me that I might actually be developing a distaste for the breaded, dipped, fried and/or junk foody offerings in life. Which is cool, dude.

Now I yearn for a Canada Dry to ease the fire in my belly from eating stuff I'm no longer used to. Damn the sugar; this day's a waste anyway. I'm going to watch dvds and drink my soda and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home