Monday, November 10, 2003

Well, I had an interesting weekend.

Saturday I hit the ground running. Cleaned, baked doggie treats to shore up the inventory, mailed out a few orders from the website. Then it was a lovely drive to the country to visit Mom and my favourite neighbours across the street. They were having a 'do' to introduce the three newest members of the family to their extended family. I guess we qualify as family after 32 years of being in each other's lives. The individuals in question are Maeve (daughter of Jeff and Alison), Andre (partner of Kelli) and Roberto (son of Kelli and Andre).

I fired up my ancient Minolta and spent a few minutes getting comfortable with her again. As much as I love a digital camera for its score on the immediate gratification graph, I love Minnie for her ability to provide me with about 50 ways to take a picture. I snapped a pic of Maeve, her face covered with cereal, staring longingly at a bottle of water that her Gran was holding. Depth of field allowed me to focus in on those gorgeous peepers in just the right way. As for the newest family unit, I had an idea for a photo essay of them since before Kelli even delivered. I discussed it with her and, happily, she was just as excited about it.

Now, I just get to stress about how everything will turn out. I bracketed, used flash and didn't use flash. I was so worked up, I didn't even want to get into the use of filters. Next time.

I also met Lee, one of the numerous aunts in attendance. She's a Conference Manager for a major hotel chain and made it sound so great, I mentioned I was looking for a full time gig. Not only did she spend 10 minutes telling me that I would be a perfect fit for that sort of thing, she offered to call the local joint this morning and get the name of the HR person. Oh, and we traded business cards. I wonder how long it will take for me to get tired of saying, "Let me give you my business card"?

This morning, the maternity leave posting I've been waiting for finally showed up on the intranet. My jaw hit my keyboard as I read the requirements. Bloody hell, I thought, I'm not even sending my resume in for this one on the outside chance they're so desperate for a warm body that they begrudgingly allow me to give it a whirl. Too late, my friend Karen had already given my resume to her boss. See, it's her job. She's going off on maternity leave in 30 days. Her pearls of wisdom about the posting?

"Phooey".

Heh. She says as long as I'm inherently organized, I will thrive. As much as I appreciate the pep talk, I don't hold out much hope. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home