Thursday, November 27, 2003

On this day of American thankfulness, I would like to add my two cents' worth. Mind, it should probably be my nickel's worth since it's, you know, crappy old Canadian money.

I'm thankful for my family who loves and supports me.

I'm thankful for my wide-reaching group of friends. This community is comprised of the young and old, rich and poor, professionals and students, meek and not-so-meek-by-a-long-shot, the generous and the reserved, the supportive and the aloof, but all of them have their special gifts.

I'm thankful for my best friend of 28 years, Lisa. She sticks with me through it all, leading me to believe we went behind the portable in Grade Three and took some sort of blood oath I can't remember. Her patience and tolerance deserves a medal, and one day I might just surprise her with one.

I'm thankful for my continued good health.

I'm thankful that I'm accumulating good habits as I age. One of them, maybe the most important, is the ability to move past the bad bits with grace and dignity and not obsess about them. This, I hope, makes me a better person in the long run.

I'm thankful for the internet, which allows me to instant message, write, learn code, enjoy the lives of others , collect feedback, look up random song lyrics at the touch of a button, print out crosswords that match my IQ... you get the idea.

Most of all, I'm thankful for having so many things for which to be thankful.