Tuesday, November 18, 2003

You know, it's funny how something you do that doesn't float your boat will wind up providing you with a bit of luck if you approach it with the right attitude.

I'm involved with the office audit. Now, usually the word audit strikes fear into my heart. In this case, it's not personal so I was indifferent about it. Hell, anything that takes me away from reassessing student's files for the new year on the new system is a blessing in disguise. So I've been pulling documentation and preparing to sit down with the auditor for a couple of weeks. She's been putting me off and putting me off, to the point where I thought I needed a breath mint or she'd seen through my cheerleader exterior and knew I was rotten to the core. The deadline for the audit had come and gone and I was starting to worry.

Early Monday morning, I rolled into work and fired up my work email. The first thing I saw was a message from Karla. Turns out her dog snorfed up something suspect during a Sunday afternoon walk and was now sick as a....well, you know. She was staying home with her laptop to keep an eye on him.

Aha, I thought. A dog owner. And one who isn't afraid to stay home from work to look after him. Dedicated. Excellent.

I made a mental note to give her a business card the next time I saw her. Cut to today. Her red head popped up over my CLOSED sign, a sheepish grin on her face. She knows I know she's nervous about this audit, regardless of the number of times I've tried to reassure her that it will be a dawdle. She confirmed her presence at my desk tomorrow morning and I invited her to stay for our pot luck lunch as a reward. As I was talking, I reached into my purse and pulled out a business card. She looked it over and was suitably impressed, as most people will attempt to be when the person who owns the business is standing right in front of them. She promised to take a peek at the website and with a flourish was off.

One hour later, I got a call.

"I'm at your website. I want to make an order and I have some ideas. Let's get together for dinner one night after work. Also, if you need an accountant for your books, I'm your girl!"

Wow.

She's got all these ideas about 'harnessing my untapped potential'. I love the way she talks. She's also a good egg, so I can see that working with her on any project, short or long term, might be a postitive experience.

Add the above to the fact I've got a dentist appointment tonight and I'm looking at 15 years without a cavity and it's another good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home