Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Enough



I don't know if it's this oppressive heat or the fact that so many things in my life right now are obstacles to be overcome instead of welcoming, open doors with smiling happy people inside but I've had enough. Enough of rude people, enough of poor grammar, enough of people who don't care that they're being rude or have poor grammar. Enough.

This applies in its most pronounced form to my Bookmarks list. Really well-known, talented writers of journals and blogs whom I have read in some cases for many years are getting on my last nerve. I think it's a basic consideration when you're publishing for the masses that you should stop and think, even if it's for a second, about what you're saying. Your words represent you to hundreds, maybe thousands of people who will probably never meet you in person. Your 3-dimensional personality and character radiates quite differently when you're being sarcastic, flip, ironic or even eloquent. Anyone who's ever participated in a real-time online chat session knows that typing as fast as your mouth would speak in a face to face conversation (sans editing) will one day come back to bite you in the ass, hard.

Now it's possible the heat has addled them to an extent and they're just mouthing off in a comfortable and secure forum they feel is their own and should therefore be filled with their thoughts and feelings of the moment. Justifiably so, I say. I'm well aware that my choosing to pass them over during the Parade of Bookmarks each morning doesn't make a tiny rat's ass of difference to them. Still, I can't help but feel let down by some of the crap I've been reading lately. It's like the internet got collectively lazy over the past month or so; entries for entries' sake if you will.

It's also possible that everything is cyclical and I will come around to reading them again in a few months after my state of disgruntlement has passed.

Time to get down from my high horse and continue my day. Thank you for your time and consideration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home